Thursday 10 January 2013

A tattoo should choose you...



I was 18 when I got my first tattoo at Tiki Ink in Paignton.
 It's the Japanese symbol for little sister, because I'm a big sister and at the time I wanted a tattoo, but wasn't entirely sure what, and I knew that at least if it was a spur of the moment thing, it would always have meaning and I wouldn't ever regret it. Call it a tramp stamp if you must. It doesn't bother me.








A year later, I had tattoo fever again. 
For people who have never had a tattoo, it's like that morning coffee. After a while you just start to crave another.
 All I knew was that I wanted a stargazing lily - my mums favorite flower, and I wanted it to stand out, but also to flow down my back a bit. I didn't want to rush into anything, knowing that it's there for life, so I researched local artists for a good 3-4 months.

I went to Mike at Spike at the art who was incredible. He drew a lily and traced it on, then free-handed all the swirls. I don't know what made me decide on my back again, I think it was just a nice space to use. The photos below were taken as it was healing, hence why the colors looks slightly pale and peeling!







So then I ran off to Turkiye for the summer and
and spent the whole season living there. I went through a huge change, from one relationship, to another, but more than that, I managed to find myself again and become someone I was happy being. 
When I got home, I realised I wanted something to symbolise this, and remind me to always stay true to myself and not change for other people. I know - why can't I just write a list or change my hairstyle for the same effect? Because I like tattoos.

I decided I wanted my feet done. I wear flip flops so much and I hate feet,so I thought lets at least make them slightly attractive! My sister has her feet tattooed and it looks beautiful with the music notes from The Beatles' Blackbird, with dotwork swirls and hibiscus'.

I couldn't decide between a swallow and a bluebird.
The swallow is a historic symbol of the travelling of British sailors. They were the first bird they'd see before hitting land. Sailors got a swallow tattoo as a symbol of experience and how many nautical miles they'd travelled.
 The swallows would then return home every year. To me, it said I've been on this adventure, and I've travelled around, and now I'll return home.

The bluebird was also for the Navy, who believed that if your ship went down, the bluebird would carry your soul to heaven. Like the swallow, it also symbolised luck, because again they were seen near land, and happiness.
In the end, my amazing tattoo artist incorporated the two.  

 The other foot has a moon and star on it. This is the symbol on the Turkish flag. I was lucky the flag was the moon and star, and not something ugly! I am obsessed with the moon and would love a proper, realistic one, but for now, I was happy with a more conventional crescent moon and stars. I was taught a saying in Turkey, ''I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'', which I've forgotten how to say in Turkish now, but it's appropriate because the stars over there are incredible. It reminds me also of that.

Little did I know I'd end up falling in love with someone who served in the Royal Navy, so my bird seems all the more appropriate now! 






So then, I fell in love. I  didn't plan on getting a tattoo because relationships don't always last. I was very careful with this idea. Obviously some silly people get names of partners, or faces, but this idea, although very individual, didn't give away who it was about.

And then came my infamous, amazing fingerprint heart tattoo.
At university, I studied fingerprinting and forensics is a big part of my life. In my university assignment, I'd overlapped two prints and when I glanced down, I realised they looked like a heart. I always like it and thought one day I'll put it on a canvas and hang it in my home. But then I realised this man here was going to be around for the rest of my life. I decided to do a heart with OUR prints, and I was shocked when it came out so well!
 I didn't think anyone would be able to tattoo it, and the first artist I spoke to said it would be impossible to do. I went back to Mike, who did all my others (except the japanese symbol) and he drew it up there and then for me. He traced our prints that I'd enlarged slightly, and then he tattooed it onto my forearm. 



It's my absolute favourite tattoo. Nobody ever will have this tattoo; it's so personal to us. 

ADVICE: 
I get a lot of emails and messages asking about tips for your own version.
  • Firstly, make sure you love this person!! Family, husbands, best friends, great!
  • Print all your fingers, both of you, and pick which you like the pattern of most,
    one that is scar-free.
  • Get an ink pad and paper. Sit and print a page of your prints, then get your tattoo partner to print theirs over yours at an angle to create the heart. It'll take a while to get the angle right.
  • Learn to print properly! I'm trained, but many people aren't. Press lightly, think of the ridges on your finger like a stamp. Roll your finger lightly from one side to the other.
  • Scan them into the PC and blow them up. Pick one that's clear and not blotched.
  • Take it to your chosen artist - make sure you pick one who is confident in what you're asking of them. The first artist I spoke to said it was impossible unless it was the size of my back and said he couldn't do it. My second artist, who I trusted with all my other ink, said of course he could do it, and do it well.
  •  Get the tattoo artist to stencil it into a tattoo-able design. You might lose some detail, but it's a necessity. I had a few ridge patterns I wanted to stay, so I showed him and he made sure he kept them in.


And that takes us to my last.
Note how all my ink is coverable. It's barely noticed and
if it is, its usually only one or two at a time.

My boyfriend was seriously poorly. Seriously, worrying sick.
He was in so much pain. We have a saying that we've had since day 1. 4 words, but I won't tell you them as they're ours.
When he was in pain I felt helpless. He was in hospital and I was home alone. So I booked one last tattoo. 

Now this tattoo is for him. For us. Not for anyone else.
When I see it I'm remembered of the day I took the pain like a 
man, because I knew my bf was in more pain than I'd experience for these 15 minutes. I'm remembered that I now carry him close to my heart, all day every day, and when he's not here in person, he's right here with me. 

This is a Pinterest image of the placement on another girl 
(mine's slightly higher, closer to the curve).



Unfortunately, a private and unwatermarked photo of my tattoo seems to have somehow found its way online. It was taken just after it was done, and has somehow gone viral online. Please, if you see it lurking - let me know! I dont mind people sharing the watermarked versions, but some of the people I've politely asked to remove it have responded angrily! If you want a fingerprint tattoo, that's awesome! Good luck! But make sure you use your own prints and don't copy mine, that's all I ask! 

A tattoo should mean something to you, and should have a story behind it. I love hearing your stories and seeing your beautiful artwork.

Just remember...
A tattoo should choose you, not the other way around.





No comments:

Post a Comment