Wednesday 26 February 2014

University Reflections


 
So I am 5 weeks out from the end of my degree, kind of
#ohmyGAWWWWD

I'm a little bit scared, but a big bit excited :) It feels like this day has been on the cards for forever, but only recently has it really sunk in. I've been a student for my whole life. I started education aged 4, as all kids do here. I finished primary, went to secondary, did my GCSE's, AS levels, went to college, then I took my one and only year out to work fulltime. Then I did my first degree in Forensic Science, straight into my second degree in Psychology with Criminology, and then onto the Masters in Clinical Psychology straight away. And here we are.
5 weeks out from the end of my masters, and 5 weeks out from real-life. I have deadlines up until May, so technically I can't switch off until then, but no 5 weeks of lectures is a really scary thought.
I love learning. I never, ever wanted to go to Uni. I hated the stereotypical idea of student life. I hated the idea of moving away, going out drinking every night just to fit in, socials, clubs, etc. But I liked learning. I took Forensics first because it was the next step in what I was doing. But whilst I was studying it, I realised I wanted to go into Forensic Psychology. It meant starting a whole new degree, which at 22 was a really daunting thought. I'd just started dating hubs, and he egged me on, telling me to do what I loved, and that it would be so worth it in the end. I'm so glad he did :) But I have to admit, thinking about going into the world of 9-5 work is odd. I'm excited to start a new chapter and finally put my big-girl knickers on and earn some proper cash, but I've become conditioned to learn. I constantly have to google things I don't fully understand, make notes of things to google later if I'm out, and read every single book with a pencil handy to underline anything and everything I choose to. I can punch out an 8 page essay in 4 hours, I can Harvard reference without having to question the order of details, and I can critically discuss anything from a medical journal to the Beano confidently. But can I work 9-5, five days a week? I finally realised this week that the answer is yes. I can. I realised that Uni hasn't just taught me specifics like child development, therapy and disorders. It's taught me to manage my time, to prioritise tasks, and to try my best at everything I put my mind to. 
For someone who never wanted to go to Uni, I've loved every minute of being a student. For someone who didn't want to attend another cringy graduation, I'm super stoked to be thinking about booking my cap and gown in a couple of months. 
After everything that's happened this academic year, with hubs being so poorly, buying a house, trying to rescue said house from the jaws of an ever-growing puppy....I am just proud that I have managed to get through it without a) quitting, or b) having a nervous breakdown. Whatever degree grade I end up with, I know that against all the odds, I have done this with sheer determination, and a little bit of luck.


 Highlights of my degree - handing in my stage 4 dissertation; the last day of my BSc (Hons);
getting my Grandma in as a participant in my research project; the amazing view during the summer.





Now to get started on the final 3 assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment