Sunday 17 November 2013

Home is where the heart is

I realise that it's been forever since I've actually posted any updates about the house.
To be perfectly honest with you, with everything going on healthwise, we haven't had the time to get things done that need doing. But they can wait :)

So we got the gate up whilst hubs was in hospital. Such a relief with the puppy!


Although, little man's been going to the park a few times recently,
in the hope that this Momma can tire him out a bit more!


I'm eagerly wanting to decorate this feature wall but it still needs one last coat of paint - the natural wicker colour, before my frames and quote vinyl can go up.
Hubs has promised me it'll be ready by Christmas :) so in the meantime, I've
put up my bunting.


The bane of our lives - the skirting boards - still need to be done, and we're hoping to get
them on with the help of my carpenter Grandad ASAP. (There's a chill coming through the gaps so we desperately need them sealed!)

Oh and of course, the beautiful (ahem) fireplace....
Well. We're having it removed and using the original fireplace behind as a wood
burning fireplace. Anyone have a real fire? Any advice?


My lovely Mum-in-law gave us these curtains for the dining room - they're 
a light golden beige - perfect for Christmas, but equally as lovely for all year round.

 
Well, you can't get worse that what we had when we moved in...
brown floral burlap.  Laaaavley...!
 


The dining room itself hasn't, and isn't, being redecorated for a while. The carpet
desperately needs to go, but the walls aren't so bad, so it's not a priority at the moment.
Plus, of course, Christmas is coming and that brings decorating of its own.
I can't wait to add a festive stamp to this house! I've got so many great crafty ideas in the making, and I've gone a little nuts with gifts this year trying to make it extra special.

So that brings us upstairs.
Well, the smaller of the two spare rooms is still being used to hold rubbish. But little by little, I'm sorting through it all and throwing out lots of things, and finding new homes for others.  It's filling back up again though as I'm looking after some baby things for my sister. 
Like I mentioned before, we won't be decorating that room until we are expecting - but we already have carpet for it (so much left over from doing my parents house, there's enough for this smaller room) and I think we'll probably get someone in to paper the walls when the time comes. 

The main bedroom is still the same. Walls 90% stripped, carpet 50% up, wood floorboards still need cleaning and treating, and of course the walls then need painting or papering. I've got the vinyl stickers for that room too but there's no rush as we're sleeping in the other big room. It's definitely odd knowing that we have two extra big rooms but they're just not being used. I'm hoping to start getting back into a routine again soon and crack on with whats left to do.

So there we are. Not a lot has happened since
I last updated, but it's coming along. I'm happy to have a functioning dining room
and have been utilising the huge table space to make my Christmas decorations. 
I'll post a few how-to's soon. :)

The next thing to look forward to, though, is my Mum's hair photoshoot.
Unlike last year when, as you'll recall, I had to dress like a stripper that fell in a trash can and walk down a catwalk, this year is just a photoshoot with the much improved theme of Christmas. So after much deliberating (me saying 'I refuse to go as a Xmas tree' until my Mum agreed), she's decided to go with the idea of a Snow Queen. 

How beautiful is this vintage dress?! She got it in a vintage thrift store, 
and it was like it was made to fit me. It's so cute.



Of course, the Queen of Ice needs some blingin' (sorry...) accessories...
the most gorgeous shoes, icicle earrings, crystals, diamonds, and possible a tiara.
And as for the hair, apparently we're doing a glam fauxhawk!


Well, watch this space. Photos will be up next month after the shoot ;)

Saira 
xo






No comments:

Post a Comment