Monday 22 April 2013

Grateful.

 
I don't usually post these but this week I thought it might be nice to share.
For a long time now I've been training as a psychologist, and I'm always up for learning about new therapies and techniques. 

One that I came across whilst researching Mindfulness many moons 
ago is called Gratitude Therapy.

I guess it's loosely similar to the Buddhist therapy of naikan, that emphasizes gratitude as a way to heal depression, anxiety, and neurosis. In this approach, Buddhists systematically review their whole life and offer gratitude for everything that they were given.
Like naikan, gratitude therapy is about not taking things for granted; for remembering to appreciate every material possession, opportunity and person that is part of our lives for no matter how short a time.

Anyway. It's something I've practiced for a long time now, and it's very simple.
Each week (day, week, month, whatever you like), you sit and make a list of what you're thankful for. Sometimes, when times get a bit stressful, it's nice to dig out your lists and remember to focus on what you do have, as opposed to what you don't.


This week...
  • Having a roof over our heads and food on the table
  • Having a man who loves me for me and always tells me
  • My Mum and all the things she does for me, still
  • The old lady who said thank you and squeezed my arm after I held the door open for her
  • The little girl that picked up my book for me when I dropped it at work
  • Having lovely neighbours who we can trust implicitly 
  • The lovely couple that gave Kip his new home, and the way they always send letters and photos and let us stay updated on his life. They realise how hard it is to 'lose' a pet and have made it that much easier
  • Having *touch wood* great health
  • Having two little pet rats that keep us laughing all day long
  • All the opportunities life throws at us

Encourage your mind to 
think more positively, 
and start now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment