Sunday 28 July 2013

Sunday Social 28/07

Sunday Social

Today's Sunday Social questions are all about food, which makes me happy (and hungry!)

1. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Stir fry!

2. What's your guilty pleasure/comfort food?
Popcorn. Nom nom.

3. What's the weirdest/craziest thing you've ever eaten?
I tried şırdan when I was in Adana, Turkey.
 Never again.




4. What foods do you avoid at all costs?
I don't like meat on the bone, so ribs, wings, thighs... no thanks!

5. What meal reminds you of your childhood?
Egg pasta. I have no clue what it was!
It was kind of like this but mainly just birds nest pasta, egg, ham and cheese.

Also, I ate a whole lot of mash, peas and gravy!

6. Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it.
My Grandma always used to make a lemon pudding and everyone in our family LOVED it. 

My Grandma's recipe for lemon pudding. 


She kept this recipe book over the past 60 years,
adding clippings from magazines to her own hand written
recipes.  

 

 In the middle, was 'Canadian Lemon Pudding'. The best dessert she ever made us as kids, and for my Dad when he was a kid. 

1oz butter
5oz sugar
3oz flour
2 eggs
1 lemon
1/2 pint milk
pinch of salt

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add flour, salt and egg yolks. 
Add lemon rind and juice, then add in the milk. 

Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into mixture. 
Pour this into a buttered dish.

Bake at 350  180* for 45 mins, centre oven. 

BEFORE                                        AFTER


 The photo above was my first attempt. Unfortunately I didnt take photos when it actually turned out right!!!
I ended up using about 3 lemons to get a sharper taste the next time, and we used self-raising flour the second time instead of plain which didn't rise well (as you can see). 

So I googled the recipe, and low and behold, GoodFood have 
a modern, similar version of the recipe, and this, my friends, is what it should, and will, look like when you do it properly :)


Report back if you make it!!!!

Let me know if you try the lemon pud recipe!
Linkup, and have a fab day!
Saira
xo

4 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on meat on the bone! As much as I love chicken, I really struggle to eat it off the bone. BBQs do not serve me well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone! I can't even stand processed boned chicken like KFC. It freaks me out!!!!

      Delete
  2. Stopping over from Sunday Social :) That mea from Turkey looks... interesting haha I am wondering what animal that came from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! :) I'll check out your SS next.
      Oh gosh, don't ask! I wasn't told what it was until AFTER I'd taken a bite...!

      Delete