Monday 28 December 2015

Deck the Halls! 2015

Merry christmas! I hope you've all had a really amazing festive season and made some great memories!


We started a new tradition this year  - Christmas Eve! Since I started working when I was 18, I've always opted to work Christmas eve. I worked in an ice rink so the festive feel, smiley childrens faces and my amazing co-workers just made it brilliant and I always looked forward to it. I have a new job this year, and I'm loving it just as much, so I worked for a couple of hours before heading to my Mum's house. It was so lovely, my sister and nephew and my Grandad joined my Mum, me and my husband. Mum cooked her (healthy version) party food which was delish, and my in-laws popped round too. It was lovely to be with my favourite people, chilling and watching old home movies and having a giggle. I hope we do this every year, it's definitely my favourite day now after Christmas Day!


Of course, the first person in this household to unwrap a present was the dog :) his new bone kept him entertained for the next few hours whilst we got ready fir our guests.




I spent most of the morning making sure the house looked presentable - my number 1 tip if you're hosting Christmas Day is to always make your house tidier than you would be happy with. It inevitably gets cluttered with pressies, paper and people! Starting with the absolute minimum will mean even when its chaos, it won't look unbearably untidy (which is great if you take lots of photos like me!).


 I tried to help hubs start cooking but DOG.

I mentioned before that this Christmas would be odd because it's our first since our parents separated. It was SO lovely, however, to have them both over for the day. It wasn't awkward or sad because they've stayed amicable and friendly, which is a massive relief for anyone who knows what it's like when your parents split up! 

Here are a few photos from the day that captured just what it's all about for us.




Hubs really went all out and made it a lovely day for everyone, despite being in
unbelievable amounts of pain. What you can't see here are the bandages and knee supports
so he could sit on the floor with my nephew and open presents.







I really loved giving presents this year. I really made an effort to get things that were meaningful and useful instead of just getting things for the sake of it like I used to do. It really paid off, my sister adored her and my nephews matching fishtail blankets, my Dad loved the book he had been after for months, and my Mum was really thankful for all her little makeup and home decor pieces. 
I'm not one for receiving presents. Don't get me wrong, I still find them exciting, but I get more enjoyment from giving people presents. However my husband really surprised me this year with my gifts. I've never known someone to pay so much attention to their wife's comments. He must have, even when I thought he hadn't heard, because he got me exactly what I needed. A gorgeous Animal aztec print waterproof watch, an endurance Speedo swimming costume and a gorgeous Animal feather print backpack with waterproof pocket - I'm a baby swim teacher so to me, those are the most perfect gifts I could have wished for. The fact that he got an extra watch strap, matching wallet and other things were just a bonus. I got him wireless headphones for the nights he can't sleep for pain, and doesn't want to keep me awake watching movies in bed (now he can stay in bed and I won't wake up :) ) and a Tassimo machine, as well as way too many clothes - I now have one very happy husband!

We had the family boxing day party the following day. O had a great time playing with his gifts.







It always feels odd when it's over. All that build-up and suddenly, boom. Finished. 
I'm not one for the 12 days of Christmas malarky - after Boxing Day I want nothing more than to take the decorations down and move on. So that's exactly what I did this morning :)












No comments:

Post a Comment