Sunday 4 March 2018

Did I mention we love Water Babies?


I know I shout it from the rooftops, but I really do love our swimming lessons! The main reason being that this little pickle's face just lights up the second we get in the car and she spots her Happy Nappy in the swim bag.

Of course, working for Water Babies, it was inevitable that we would splash into the pool eventually, but I don't think I was totally prepared for how much it would become our favourite thing to do together. Before I had Callie, I used to excitedly explain to all our swimmers and future swimmers about what we do, how we teach YOU to teach your baby to swim, why water safety is so important, and how to make the most out of bath time. Now, having spent the last 9 months swimming through the first 3 Chapters, we've jumped into Chapter 4 where things take a slight change and suddenly it's all coming together!

Whereas Chapter 1-3 have an emphasis on bonding and safety, Chapter 4 starts really working on getting little ones understanding what to do should they ever find themselves out of their depth. When I give talks at Mothercare and other events, I always start by saying that drowning is STILL the 3rd most common cause of accidental death in infants under 5 in the UK - it's WAY too high! So it's really important that we're teaching our children about water safety from a young age, and what I love about our lessons is that we achieve that (and more!) but all whilst having so much fun!  

Another thing that I'm so thankful for, more for me than Cal, is the social aspect of it. I didn't do much in the way of antenatal classes, and the same thing happened after she was born with baby groups. I have lots of friends who are amazing, but I soon realised how nice it was to have friends with babies around the same age. I was lucky to be part of the '101 ways to raise a human' community of MumsNet Mums who all had their babies around June 2017, but with 101 women all over the UK, actually having people I could grab a coffee with wasn't as easy. I did my taster term with some lovely parents at Derriford, and then splashed into Chapter 2 at our beautiful plush pool at St Mellion International Resort so Cal could have her Auntie as her teacher. Jumping into an already-established class was scary, and then paired with the body-conscious feeling I think every new Mum feels, I was a little out of my comfort zone, but boy did they make me feel like one of the gang from the second I stepped onto poolside.


I absolutely love swimming with my little girl, and can't bang on about it enough. Even if she does decide she wants breakfast mid-lesson....! But it wouldn't be Water Babies if we didn't have a giggle :)


If you want to come join the fun, drop my lovely colleagues an email on bounce@waterbabies.co.uk or leave us a message on 01752 605627. If you're not local, head to www.waterbabies.co.uk and search for your nearest pools. You absolutely won't regret it!
Saira xx

No comments:

Post a Comment